Envision IT Custom 404 for SharePoint
The Envision IT Custom 404 feature allows you to easily redirect old or incorrect URL's on your SharePoint site to a variety of target pages. It can also be used to create shortened URLs for print or marketing purposes. Web sites that do not use custom 404 error pages often experience negative results for search engine placements, web site traffic, and user loyalty. Through the use of these custom 404 error pages, your company web site will be ranked higher from a search engine optimization perspective, bringing in more business to your company. Ensure your site visitors continue to find what they’re looking for when:
- Bookmarked pages have changed
- Site visitors mistype your URL in their browser
- An author has left a broken link on a page
- The web site has been moved or updated to a newer version of SharePoint
Inbound links will now be pointing to invalid URL's on the old site
When people abandon searches it translates directly into lost potential and revenue. The last thing you want on your new SharePoint web site is someone experiencing a 404 error as they browse around the site.
The Envision IT Custom 404 for SharePoint is $500 per production SharePoint farm.
The Envision IT Custom 404 feature for SharePoint will eliminate 404 errors and provide a richer end-user experience. It can also be used to create shortened URLs for marketing purposes.
Setting up the feature is quite simple. The basic steps are:
- Add the solution to your farm
- Install the license file
- Activate the list template feature on your site
- Create a Custom404 list in the root of your site with each of the rules you want followed
- Create and publish any content pages you want as targets for your rules
You can see the rules defined on our site with the test page.
Try a few of these URLs to see how it works.
The accompanying pages will help to explain each situation.