The Toronto SharePoint Users Group (TSPUG) supports the SharePoint community in southern Ontario and they meet on the third Wednesday of each month. Each meeting features a catered social, Q&A, and a featured presentation. All are welcome!
The group will be meeting on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM. It will be located at the KPMG building, which is at 333 Bay Street, Suite 4600, Toronto. The featured speaker will be Peter Carson, President of Envision IT.
2010 Publishing Site Upgrade to SharePoint 2013
This talk will discuss upgrading a SharePoint 2010 publishing site to SharePoint 2013, along with an overview of the changes and new features in Web Content Management (WCM) in SharePoint 2013.
The first part of the talk will be a discussion of the process for upgrading a site to 2013, as well as a live demo of that process using http://blog.petercarson.ca. The main steps I'll be following are:
- Building the 2013 farm (briefly, this is a whole topic on its own)
- Attaching a backup of the 2010 content database to 2013
- Performing the Site Collection Upgrade
- Updating the branding with the new Design Manager
The second half of the talk will be a walk-through of some of the cool new features in 2013 from a WCM perspective. These include:
- Branding changes with Design Manager
- Much improved Word cut and paste
- Video content types
- Image renditions
- Automatically generated resized versions of images for different purposes, such as web friendly, thumbnail, or full fidelity for download
- Content search web parts versus content query web parts
- Catalog-enabled libraries and lists versus reusable content
- Friendly URLs
- Design channels for different devices
For more details and to register, visit the TSPUG website event page here: http://www.meetup.com/TorontoSPUG/events/69086932/