Tuesday, April 16, 2013
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
SharePoint is a powerful web content management platform that gets even better with the 2013 release. Both image and video support has been significantly expanded. The key features that we will be going over are:
- Site owners can define standard sizes (renditions) for images that apply across the site
- As content authors load and use images, SharePoint automatically creates these different renditions to optimize the site visitor's experience
- Content authors can resize and crop images right in the browser, without the need for Photoshop or image management software
- It is becoming more and more important for both internal and external sites
- 2013 has a new video content type that is actually a document set
- Drag and drop a video into SharePoint, and the video and thumbnail (automatically extracted from the first frame) are put in the document set
- Content authors can play the video in the browser, and select a different frame for the thumbnail, or upload their own
- Additional video formats (renditions) can be loaded into the document set for playing back on different devices
- Windows Azure Media Services further extends this by providing cloud-based transcoding (converting to different formats) and massively scaled streaming support (think London Olympics), as well as Smooth Streaming and HTTP Live Streaming (HLS, for Apple iOS adaptive streaming) support
At Envision IT we have a suite of products that build on these new capabilities for both content authors and site visitors. During this webinar we will explore these new features of SharePoint 2013, and how we are leveraging those in the new 2013 versions of our products.
Envision IT Products
Video Player allows you to stream videos from a variety of sources onto different devices.
We leverage the new video renditions and thumbnail extraction tools in 2013, along with online encoding in Azure Media Services, to make it easier for content authors to publish and stream the best quality videos based on what each device will support.
Photo Viewer provides easier sharing and management of images.
Image Renditions in 2013 allow the content author to define the different resolutions that photos should be presented in, and Photo Viewer will use the appropriate size image for the client device and viewer size they are being viewed on, for optimal quality and performance.
Image Rotator allows images that are stored in a SharePoint Asset Library to be displayed in rotating sequence on a web site.
Image Renditions in 2013 are also leveraged here, making it easy for the content author to crop and size images to the appropriate dimensions to be used in rotations.
Custom 404 will help eliminate 404 errors, broken or missing links, and mistyped URLs.
Ensure site visitors always find what they are looking for without getting frustrating 404 errors.