Upgrades and Migrations
Planning your SharePoint On-Premises or Microsoft 365 migration and not sure where to begin?
Regardless of where you are now, you can rely on Envision IT to guide you through the nuances of a migration to either Microsoft 365 or SharePoint On-Premises.
When moving to Microsoft 365, the overall approach is the same regardless of where your content is currently. It could be on file shares, in legacy document management systems, or in other cloud platforms like Box, Dropbox, or G-Suite. The steps we take include:
- Communications and Change Management
- From the very beginning, communicate the change to the business to ensure a successful migration
- Using PowerShell scripts a full inventory is completed
- What is being migrated, archived, or deleted
- Determine your Information Architecture for Teams, Sites, and Libraries
- Migration Tools
- Most common tools are the SharePoint Migration Tool or Sharegate
- Migration Phase One
- Will there be a single cutover to Microsoft 365 or will it be broken up into phases over a set time period
- Test Phase
- Decide on timings and the approach for the migration, and test that everything can be migrated successfully
- Migration Phase Two
- Perform final migration and make the migration source read-only
- Decommission Phase
- Archive the old system and eventually decommission
While we generally recommend moving to Microsoft 365, there are times when organizations are on unsupported or older versions of SharePoint On-Premises, and it is faster to move to SharePoint 2019 in the short term. See our Why You Might Want to Upgrade to SharePoint 2019 article for more details.
Choose the option below that best describes your current document management technology stack.