Russel Metals Public Internet Site
"I Envision... a dynamic, well-organized site that provides easily-accessible information to various audiences and encourages them to return often.” - Maureen Kelly, Vice President, Information Systems
Russel Metals Inc. is a leader in the metals distribution and processing business in North America. A publicly traded Canadian Company with roots that date back to nineteenth-century Montreal, Russel Metals is divided into three business segments. Through a network of 51 Canadian and 12 US locations, the Metals Service Centers provide products and customized processing services to over 28,000 customers. The Energy Tubular Products sector distributes tubular products primarily to the energy industry in Western Canada and the United States. The Steel Distributors distribute steel products primarily in large volumes and mainly on an "as-is" basis.
As part of their web strategy to overhaul both public and internal web sites, Russel Metals selected SharePoint 2010 as their preferred platform, and contracted Envision IT to develop the first phase, a new public internet site. The existing site was outdated in appearance and running on an unsupported platform. It offered little in the way of information or tools to attract or benefit existing or potential customers. Russel Metals wanted to take the opportunity to start fresh and establish a new online image and implement the latest web technology in a user-friendly site that would better meet the needs of their various audiences.
Envision IT developed the new www.russelmetals.com, a bilingual SharePoint publishing site with bold new branding concepts that help represent Russel Metals as a dynamic industry leader. Information is clearly laid out across an intuitive interface, and the site is as easy for visitors to navigate as it is for content authors to keep current. The site is effectively organized to support and be relevant to Russel Metals three business segments and their different sets of customers, products and services. Investors and potential employees easily find the relevant information they need to make informed decisions and various interactive tools encourage users to visit and return.
Some of the notable features that make this site stand out include the following:
- Custom content types and page layouts such as the product reference page layouts that are used to create an online product reference, displaying extensive technical product detail.
- Dictionary Terms that are used for the Dictionary of Industry Terms and Services List
- Content Query Web Parts displaying document lists such as Financial Reports that expose multiple types of documents which are expandable/collapsible
- Interactive locations map driven by Google Maps technology that users can filter by business segment
- The Request for Investor Information form that allows visitors to subscribe to various materials distribution lists and includes a workflow for email notification of signup to the relevant department
- A handy unit conversion calculator tool for site visitors
- A direct stock feed from TMX, presenting Investors with live data
- Standard SharePoint site Search as well as Dictionary of Terms Search
- Envision IT Image Rotator on the home page, offering visual appeal and an easy site refresh
A bold, dynamic site that presents the desired corporate image to the public
A wealth of material is provided, and information is well laid out and easy to find
Enhanced functionality and tools encourage return site visits
Prominent quick links direct users to the three company business segments
Branding and layouts that maintain a consistent message throughout the site
Content is easy for authors to update
“Our project manager was an excellent resource. The new look of our web site along with the online product reference has resulted in increased sales leads. We are pleased with the final product." - Maureen Kelly, Vice President, Information Systems