Toronto, March 2, 2009 - Envision it announced today that it has submitted an entry in the Developer Category for the Microsoft Ignite IT Awards. With the Ignite IT Awards, the MSDN Code Awards and the TechNet Innovation Awards come together for the first time. Why? To recognize and reward the efforts of Canadian IT Professionals and Software Developers.
Envision IT's submission is for the Silverlight Image Manager for SharePoint Application. For over 20 years Envision IT has been building solutions using web technologies and we are considered the ‘go-to’ partner for Microsoft SharePoint, building integrated public web sites, Intranets, Extranets and web applications. We have found that image management for a web site poses numerous issues for organizations. With many content contributors, it can be difficult to enforce standards on image size and quality. It is also difficult for contributors to find the most appropriate images that they need.
Envision IT's solution replaces the standard image management controls in Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) with a set of custom Silverlight 2.0 pages. The Silverlight Image Manager for SharePoint provides for a highly enhanced user experience. The positive impact is that content authors (who are typically not web content experts) are able to effectively manage their images and web content.
This mitigates the following issues:
- Not being able to find an appropriate image
- Stretching images outside of their normal aspect ratio, resulting in distorted and poor quality images
- Leaving images in large sizes, resulting in very slow page load times and impacting site performance
- Not understanding where else an image is being used, and what impact changes to that image can have
The end results are that:
- Images load faster
- They look better
- Image resources are easier to find and more effective for the team
- Image library segregation and sharing as appropriate
- It makes using SharePoint for web content management an enjoyable experience